Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Politics

I used to be way into political debate and stuff. I was also very certain I was right. I've come to realize though that "right" is a relative term, and quite subject to change. I still like a debate, at least in some contexts. As long as it is friendly, and constructive. As long as the participants are there to learn and further understand the issue, and enhance their beliefs, not prove them. As long as it doesn't get in the way of our relationship.

Here's the thing:  I don't care who you voted for today. Whether or not our ideologies match all the time (hint: they probably don't), I still want to be your friend. If that means we only talk about bands or science, that's cool. Bands and science happen to be two of my favorite things to talk about. If, at some point, you'd like to talk about politics, I'm cool with that too; as long as you know that I value your opinion, and you value mine as well.

At some point I realized that my relationships with certain people who I respect a great deal were strained. It took me a while to figure it out, but in the end I realized it was all politics. Their beliefs were different than mine, and as a result, there was this friction all the time. It may have just been me. I really hope it was. I hope that if I asked them, they would wonder what I was talking about. But I suspect they felt it too, even if I was the only one generating it. If you have ever felt that way with me, please accept my apology.

Finally, if I ever say something you hate, know that it's not personal. We may have to agree to disagree sometimes, but I'd like to disagree with you in a friendly, informed manner.

1 comment: