Friday, February 27, 2009

Conceited

SLCC Jazz Band had their first concert of the semester tonight. I am a part of said ensemble. We played several Miles Davis pieces, a few Jobim, Duke, Dizzy, and several others. Good times were had by all.

This semester I've had a difficult time finding my groove. As it's been a few years since I've really played I have lost my lip a great deal, and was pretty rusty in general. The result has been that I've been timid in my playing, my solos have been lack luster at best, and my arrogant self has been lost in some sort of haze.

Until tonight.

Something about being in front of an audience does wonders for me. Suddenly it didn't matter that the other trumpet player's range is half an octave higher than mine, or that most of the rhythm section are expert in the ways of chordal voicing and improvisation. The only important thing was that I was there and everyone got to listen to me play, just like it used to be.

That's right folks, ol' Cuppa Joe is back and cocky as ever.

2 comments:

  1. glad to hear it.
    I love me some screaming trumpet. (also, I love the phrase "screaming trumpet)

    ReplyDelete