Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Visitor

We had just come home from the gym. A fire had broken out nearby, and a thick black cloud hung over the area. Unable to see what was burning, we came inside to get away from the cold, smoke filled air and blaring sirens. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary; the mess was just my homework still scattered on the floor around the desk. We were chatting about nothing in particular when it happened. My eyes were drawn to the movement, and the rush of adrenaline from the surprise surged through me...

Several hours later we cautiously walked back into the apartment. She had vacated almost immediately, while I stayed around waiting for the authorities. After they had come and gone I had joined her at Pike Place, attempting to reassure her that all was well. Now, as she stood apprehensively by the door, I quickly walked through every room to be sure we were alone. The maintenance crew had been given a priority work order to fix up the breach, but that wouldn't be done until tomorrow at the earliest, so the feeling of vulnerability was lingering, however hard I willed it away. I gave the all clear and she came all the way in, still glancing nervously into every corner...

All we can do now is wait. Hope that the sounds don't come back. Try to sleep through the night without letting it get into our heads. Pray that it's only us in here. And that it stays that way...

1 comment:

  1. That's about the worst thing that could ever happen to me. Ever.

    ReplyDelete